Meals on Wheels of Salem County Buddy Program
TOGETHER, WE CAN DELIVER.
The number of seniors in our country will grow exponentially over the coming years. Meals on Wheels is a proven public—private partnership that effectively addresses the challenges of aging by promoting health and improving quality of life for our nation’s most vulnerable seniors. By leveraging the existing Meals on Wheels network, we have the opportunity to not only keep seniors at home, but also save billions in tax dollars by keeping them out of more costly healthcare settings.
Why Be A Buddy?
- Senior isolation increases the risk of mortality.
- Feelings of loneliness can negatively affect both physical and mental health.
- Social Isolation is linked to long term illness.
- Loneliness in Seniors is a major risk for long term depression.
- Loneliness causes high blood pressure.
What do I do?
- Call your Buddy (the goal is weekly)
- Send a note or card
- Be positive
- Be genuinely interested in what your Buddy has to say
- Share life experiences
- Ask questions
- Visit ( optional)
- Please note the transporting of clients or running errands is not an expectation of this program.